Friday, September 26, 2008

Shots

Connor had to go in for shots today. If you remember, we go more often on an alternate vaccine schedule. When we got called back I asked the nurse to weigh him. She said, "Why are they worried about his weight?" I said, "No. I am. He's off the charts." And true to form, he is a 22 lb. 5 oz 7.5 month old. That's a pound and a half in the last month. Then she said, "He doesn't have to come back for shots until he's 1 yr." I said, "Yes he does. He gets shots at 9 months." She argued and I said, "We're doing the shots a little slower." She said, "Well, at least you're doing them." And then she stabbed my baby in each leg and made him turn red and scream...which he rarely does with shots.

The more I thought about the comment, "Well, at least you're getting them." the more I thought, "How rude!" He's my kid and we get to make the decisions about what's best for him. Just because the government says all kids should get the same treatment no matter what, that doesn't make it right. We don't educate or discipline our children in a one size fits all manner. Why should we medicate them that way? I really think that immunizations are good for the greater community and should be given, but I disagree with the way that they are forced on parents and children. I also believe that they do cause some harm and should be administered in a responsible way and not in a how-many-can-we-pack-into-a-small-child-at-one-time way. Ok...I feel better. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Sarah Jean said...

Sawyer weighed in at 22 lb. 10 oz on Tuesday when we went to the doctor. I wonder when the weight gain will slow down for the boys?!