Saturday, June 12, 2010

Field Trip

This morning we went to Jonestown, TX to check out the Angel Valley farm stand. It was a bit out of the way for us and they were the only farm represented so I had to remind myself this wasn't a farmers market, but a farm stand.

We got potatoes, tomatoes, green beans and a large garlic. It was a lot of work for me to get both boys into the stroller and keep Connor busy and Evan in sight while I tried to gather what I was looking for. I must admit I was a bit disappointed by the layout and the amount of work it was for me personally. I'm sure it was much easier for other people though. I'm hoping that we won't be disappointed by the produce. I've already put the potatoes in the crock pot with the roast so we'll see tonight.

While I was waiting in line to pay, the lady in front of us said, "Oh how sweet! He's eating the tomato just like an apple." I, of course, had no idea he was doing that and quickly grabbed it from him since you pay by the weight. He had a few bites of it and then tossed it on the floor of the car. I started to feel worried because I hadn't had a chance to wash, but then reminded myself that the worst thing that was probably on it was dirt since it came from an organic farm.

While I was driving there I saw a sign for a farmers market. So on the way home we stopped. It turned out to be the Cedar Park Farmers Market right by the Gold's Gym off 1431. This was huge...comparatively...and had probably 20-25 stands. They had everything from grass-fed beef, chicken and eggs, milk to popsicles....and at decent prices. I know the eggs were $4 a doz and the ones I got from Greenling yesterday were $6.59 and the ground beef was $5.50/lb and what I got yesterday was $7.50/lb. So I'm thinking it may be worth my while to visit this little find each weekend.

We got some peaches and Connor again had to have one right away...I think he enjoyed the little trip. This Farmer's Market is just the right size with lots of variety to make it worth the extra drive! Also I must admit that I felt cleaner after leaving there. I always feel dirty after leaving the grocery store from the carts being so gross and I didn't have that feeling after leaving there today!

1 comment:

Sarah Jean said...

We love the farmer's market in Cedar Park! We've gone quite a few times with all the kids!